Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thank You . . .

So, this is the first installment of my Thank You Series, in which I thank the people around me for increasing my life's awesomeness. Given that today is Mother's Day, I thought I'd start with my mom.

My mom and me after I received by Bachelor's. 

Thank you, Mom:
  • For always fostering my imagination. Some parents subscribe to the Thomas Gradgrind school of childrearing, all fact and no fancy, but fortunately for me, my mother wasn't one of those. Whether it was orchestrating a wedding between Cuddles, my stuffed bear, and Bunny, my stuffed . . . well, bunny, or describing the fairy village that existed under a bush in our yard, she always indulged my storytelling.
  • For making me try a bite of everything on my plate. The meals we ate growing up were the antithesis of adventurous, but as a child I was so picky that even our very middle-American diet was too wild for me. I didn't even like sauce on my spaghetti noodles. However, my mom made me at least try a bite of everything, and as I grew older and discovered new foods, I was game to appreciate this rule, because I have consequently discovered a whole world of delicious edibles.
  • For introducing me to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Some people think television corrodes family relationship, but watching Buffy with my mom was a bonding experience. My mother likes sci-fi, horror, and fantasy, so she was into the show immediately. I was more skeptical, but I started watching it with her and became hooked. It was a weekly date, and after I moved away to college we were still following the spin-off Angel so I would call her during the commercials to discuss the show's events.
  • For your accepting attitude. While it wasn't always the case, I can honestly say I feel comfortable discussing just about anything with my mom. I know she will always accept me and my decisions and I enjoy our candid conversations.
So thanks!

My mom at 17 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment